Tuesday, July 22, 2014

But...why wouldn't you want them to go to public school?!

It was a perfectly enjoyable trip to Target.  My husband was home watching the kids, so I was able to take my time, browse through the dollar spot, which had some fabulous new junk (whoops, did I say that?)...uh merchandise that I just had to buy.  I could push my cart from isle to isle without having to ask anyone to keep their hands to themselves or explain why we couldn't buy every toy in what my son calls the "Toy Story" isle.  It was fabulous.

As the checker was ringing up my items, she noticed all of the bulletin board items I picked up in the dollar spot and asked if I was a teacher.  When I replied, that I home schooled my kiddos, her response caught me off guard.


"But...why wouldn't you want them to go to public school?!"  It wasn't polite chit chat...it was more accusatory, though I'm not really sure what she was accusing me of.  Right away, I felt like I needed to be on the defensive for some reason.  But I took a breath and gave her a few of my reasons.  Before I could get very far, she cut me off and asked, "But how are they going to meet new friends?!"

It took all I could muster, but I smiled and politely said, "How do your kids meet new friends?  I would imagine the same way.  We don't live in a bubble.  They just won't be attending public school.  They will take classes in various subjects with other kids and go to church.  They are involved in sports and other extracurricular activities.  They go on play dates, we have friends with kids their age, and they have friends in the neighborhood."


She didn't say anything else on the subject, just sighed defeatedly.  I wanted to pat her on the back and assure her that their physical and mental health would be just fine because she seemed to need that reassurance.


I have only been at this for a year, and as you know, my oldest child is just starting kindergarten this fall.  It's a lot of hard work, but I am enjoying every second of it, and the kids are too.  There have already been challenges, and I know there will be many challenges ahead...moments like these being among the toughest.  I'm thankful to have the support of friends and family and am strong in my conviction that this is the best path for our family at this time.


Has your experience been the same or different than mine?  Please comment below.  I'd love to hear about it.


1 comment:

  1. Do you realize there's a 12 word sentence you can say to your crush... that will induce intense feelings of love and impulsive attractiveness for you buried within his chest?

    That's because deep inside these 12 words is a "secret signal" that triggers a man's impulse to love, cherish and protect you with his entire heart...

    12 Words That Trigger A Man's Desire Impulse

    This impulse is so built-in to a man's genetics that it will make him work harder than ever before to do his best at looking after your relationship.

    In fact, fueling this all-powerful impulse is so essential to having the best possible relationship with your man that the second you send your man one of the "Secret Signals"...

    ...You will soon find him open his soul and heart for you in a way he never expressed before and he'll distinguish you as the only woman in the world who has ever truly appealed to him.

    ReplyDelete