Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Review of Lauri Tall-Stacker Pegs Building Set

I know this is a long time coming, but a promise is a promise...

When we started dedicated preschool at the beginning of the year, I purchased several different sets of manipulatives.  One of the first was the Lauri Tall-Stacker Pegs Building Set.

We have definitely gotten some mileage out of this set.  We used it for one-to-one counting, patterning, letter, number and shape formation, sorting, color recognition, building and other imaginative play.  One of the kids favorite things to do is see how tall they can stack the pegs before the tower falls over.

When I purchased this particular set, I didn't know that the thinner mats, in various shapes and sizes used for building, couldn't also be used solo on the ground for the other activities I mentioned above.  I don't know if you can tell from the picture at the top of the post or not, but they are very thin.  There isn't enough thickness to push a peg into the holes on the thin mats if they are laying on something solid.  Inevitably, when my son was playing with them or using them for an activity, his little sister would want to join in the fun and would get frustrated being relegated to the thinner mats because she couldn't figure out how to stick the pegs in the holes.

If I had known this, I would have purchased the Lauri Tall-Stacker Pegs & Pegboard Set as well.  I might have even opted to skip the building set and just buy two of the pegs and pegboard sets.

Overall, this set has exceeded our expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment